Monday, November 11, 2013

Tiempo

Fact of the day: The word tiempo means time or season in spanish (or at least, that's what my friend Google Translate tells me).
After I came home from school today I was pondering about time and how much we have of this slippery commodity, but how little of it we use wisely. For instance, I should probably be studying about the zillions of muscles that create facial expressions right now in lieu of an anatomy test tomorrow instead of contemplating about time in a blog entry.

I really want to write about time though....

Nelson Mandela said, "We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." Nelson Mandela knew what was up. The program I'm in at school right now requires us to do tons of service hours each month. I was feeling a bit discouraged about this at first because time is SO precious as it is and I really felt like I was barely keeping my head above the water as it was. Not to mention I do in fact have a life outside of school. Gee. However, I have found that somehow I have been able to accomplish so much more recently since I have taken the focus off of "What can I do for me?" and I have shifted my focus to, "What can I do for (insert noun [limited to places or people] here)?" Some might say it's just that I've become better at managing my time. I would have to agree to a small degree (that rhymed!), but I also really believe that as we go out of our way to serve others, especially those who come into our lives, the Lord blesses in ways we don't always understand. Maybe I'm crazy, but I really think it seems like a plausible idea.

There is no better time to do service for someone that now. We live in a world that is so focused on me and I that if we don't watch ourselves we can become blind to the world, its joys and the people that occupy it.

I just found this video and I like it a lot (minus the narrators voice)


I want to use my jelly beans wisely. The idea of how quickly time can slip through your fingertips became very profound when my mother passed away two years ago. I had so much time to spend with her and I hardly feel like I spent enough of it with her.

One of the unfortunate things about time is that you can't reverse it. Sometimes I wish I could, but deep down I know that the outcome of things in the past would still be the same because "to every thing there is a season"and "a time to every purpose under heaven."

The fact that time does go on forever is an incredible idea too. It's kind of like numbers in math. They can go on infinitely and so does time. I'm thankful for that knowledge because I know that someday I'll be reunited with my family members and we will be together FOREVER!

I guess I should probably do my homework now, but I hope you found this snippet as a useful part of your day.



No comments:

Post a Comment