Monday, June 20, 2011

Week 2 (Still.....in the M. T. C. )

Amber Johnson to me
show details 12:50 PM (25 minutes ago)

This week has flown by sooo fast!
Last week, the elders in my district found out it was my birthday and made a paper airplane that said happy birthday a zillion times all over, 8 dollar bills that I can never use (except in a vending machine) because they colored G.W., etc, and a ton of candy. It was probably the most hilarious gift I've ever recieved.
and then when I was washing my clothes a bunch of Tongan elders came and sang me happy birthday and gave me enough cookies to feed Africa. (seriously).
Thanks for the earplugs! They actually came in handy. One of the sisters in our room caught a cold and snored pretty loud. I think it was a revelation that you felt impressed to send me earplugs. The church is true!
So, I've had the opportunity to teach with my lovely companions quite a few times now. It's SO much fun...really really hard sometimes, but I love it. We are teaching an "investigator" (he's our teacher who is portraying a guy he taught on his mission) named Duncan. We committed him to baptism, but he lives with his girlfriend so now we need to figure out how to bring up the law of chastity. We are also teaching another investigator named MIchelle (who was taught by our other teacher, Sis. Voyles) She intimidates me and I tried to commit her to baptism. She said no.
We are also teaching a man named Junichi in TRC which stands for something I'm sure. Everything is an acronym here (i.e. the MTC. case and point.) Anyways, he is from Japan, has no Christian background and the only religion he has ever been a part of is the Japanese religion, Shintu. He is very difficult to teach. We have taught him three times now and the only thing we have been able to convey to him is that the reason we call God Heavenly Father is because we are his children. I don't even know where to begin with him. It's very, very frustrating, but very humbling. I am glad I have the opportunity to be exposed to this situation here in the MTC.
We get to do role playing in class a lot and it has been awesome. It's crazy how you can have 12 people teaching each other individual lessons in a very small room and still e able to fill the spirit. It's been such a wonderful experience. I love it. One of the elders in our district is pretty hilarious. He and Sis. Oliverson did a role play and his investigator profile that he made up was "Goliath" who according to sister Oliverson was very slow, but easy to teach. I was hilarious.
I joined the MTC choir. It has been great fun!
THEY HAVE FROSTED MINI WHEATS HERE! I was so excited. Life at the MTC isn't too shabby.
My companions and I counted how many steps we walk up and down everyday (we live in the 4th floor in our residence and our classroom in on the 3rd floor.) Sis. Bateman counted and we walk about 900 steps a day...I don't know if that's a lot, but it seems like a pretty big number.
My district challenged the other district in our zone to kickball. It was so much fun! We won. That is just one more reason district 11A is the best district ever.
I had an epiphany this week. I realized after teaching our "investigators" that my focus was not so much on myself, but was completely focused on their needs and concerns. It's basically the only thing that consumes my mind these days. I also realized how important it is to do this with my companions too. It's kind of hard being in a trio. Sometimes we're not all on the same page and teaching lessons can be a challenge, but it seems like when we pray and follow the rules, then everything works out perfectly.
This really is the best decision I've made in my life. I love it. It stresses me out and I get nervous and frustrated, but I really do love it.
my time is up!\
 
sis j

No comments:

Post a Comment